Bexhill Buildings 1906

bexhill-large
1956

York Hall

A York Hall programme, dated 1899 A York Hall programme, dated 1897 Site of the Gaiety Cinema (old York Hall) in 1956   “York Hall” was built in 1895 and ...
BW-058 - Bexhill West station forecourt in March 1968. On 16 January 1968 the government decided to abolish the Civil Defence Corps and before the end of the year they vacated the old station building.

West Station

Looking north from the station concourse at Bexhill West in 1964, shortly before closure of the line. A Hastings DEMU awaits departure from platform 2 bound for Crowhurst. Bexhill West ...
Victoria Hall

Victoria Hall & St John’s Church

The Victoria Hall was built by Mr. Stewart and opened in 1887. It was called the Victoria Hall because 1887 was Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. The Hall was a Congregationalist ...
George V - 1910

Town Hall & Town Hall Square

Town Hall Square, Bexhill c1904 Town Hall extension, from the Bexhill Observer – 9th May 1910(/i> Accession of George V, Town Hall 9.5.1910 Bexhill Town Hall, Coronation, June 1953 The ...
Rectory

The Rectory (St Peter’s)

St. Peter's Rectory This was an early 19th century building that replaced an earlier rectory which stood on the site.  It was sold after the Second World War, and, in ...
c1899

The Bexhill Golf Links

The first golf club was founded in 1880 and used an existing cottage on the site as a clubhouse, this was extended in 1912. Up until the Second World War, ...
Bell Hotel

The Bell Hotel – Old Town

The Bell has been a focal point in the Old Town for over 300 years. From humble beginnings, the Inn has constantly adapted to the changing needs of the town, ...
Moorish lounge,

The “Kursaal”

The Kursaal in 1896. The Kursaal, Bexhill c1900 Kursaal & Parade, Bexhill c1900 The Kursaal’s , Moorish lounge, c1910 The Kursaal was built in 1896 by the 8th Earl De ...
1927-1928

St. Barnabas’ Infants’ and Girls’ School

St. Barnabas Infants School c1930 St. Barnabas Infants’ School, Sackville Road – Western Road – 1927-1928 St. Barnabas’ Girls’ School now Bexhill Library 12.8.1967 As the population of the new ...
1891

St. Barnabas’ Church

St Barnabas Church under construction – 1890 Sea Road and St Barnabas Church, Bexhill taken from a Guidebook c1900 St Barnabas Church, Sea Road, Bexhill in 1891 St Barnabas Church, ...
1909

St. Barnabas’ Boys’ School

St Barnabas Boys’ School (Reginald Road) 19th October 1909 St Barnabas Boys’ School, 1927 (Reginald Road) St Barnabas Boys’ School (Reginald Road) with Air Raid Shelter. 12.8.1967 As the population ...
c2017

St Andrew’s Church

  St Andrew's Church - c2017 St Andrew's church, in Wickham Avenue, was founded as a mission church of St Barnabas, in 1900, and, from 1931, was the church of ...

Sackville Road Methodist Church

Sackville Road Mathodist Church – 1896 Sackville Rd Methodist Church c1915 The church was built on the corner of the new Parkhurst Road and Sackville Road, and opened in 1896 ...

Sackville Hotel

,Sackville Hotel – c1894 Sackville Hotel advert – 1894,/b> SackvilleHotel, Bexhill c1900 Sackville Hotel – 1902 (Postcard) The Sackville Hotel was, originally, a row of four dwellings incorporated into one ...

Park Pergola & Band Stand

The Pergola, entrance. Egerton Park & Pergola (postcard) The Pergola, Egerton Park (Postcard) Pergola from the South c1910 In 1906, Egerton Park was extended west to Brockley Road and on ...
Barrack Road cemetery gates 1940

Old Cemetery (Barrack Road Graveyard)

  Barrack Road graveyard 1966 The cemetery was created at the very start of the 19th century to accommodate the increased population caused by the building of the barracks. The ...
Dormitory

Metroplitan Convalescent Home

The 1881 Metropolitan Convalescent Home, Bexhill c1900 Bexhill Convalescent Home – 1905 Metropolitan Convalescent Home, Old Town Bexhill c1930 The Convalescent Home opened in 1881, before the development of the ...

Marina Arcade

Farmerie Tea Rooms c1910 (1) Farmerie Tea Rooms, Marina Arcade c1910 The Cairo, Marina Arcade c1908 The Marina Arcade, Bexhill c1975 The Marina Arcade was built, in the ‘Moorish’ style, ...
Hotel Riposo c1920s

Hotel Riposo

The 1904 races on De La Warr Parade with the Hotel Riposo on the left. Unlike the 1902 races, the cars are racing towards Galley Hill. A view of the ...
Winter Gardens

Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole dining room c1901 Hotel Metropole winter garden c1901 Hotel Metropole, The Hall c1910 Hotel Metropole, Winter Gardens c1910 The Metropole was the second grandest hotel in Bexhill, after ...
Date unknown

Granville Hotel

The Granville Hotel, Sea Road, Bexhill c1905 The Granville Hotel and Sea Road, Bexhill c1925 The Granville Hotel, Sea Road, Bexhill c1930 The Granville Hotel, Bexhill – date unknown but ...
Bragg's Farm taken about 1892.

Fatlands Farm (Bragg’s Farm)

Painting of Braggs Farmhouse by Cedric Gillham Photograph of Bragg’s Farm taken about 1892. Braggs Farm also known as Fatlands and previously Le Vert, has now gone. The land was ...

Egerton Park Swimming Pool

Egerton Park Swimming Pool – Bex Obs 31.7.1937 Egerton Park swimming pool c1975 A swimming bath or pool of some kind occupied this site from the time the park was ...
Old folks dinner

Drill Hall

 Bexhill's very first drill hall was, in fact, located behind the Queen's Head on Belle Hill On 5th February 1913, the Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes held the annual Old ...

Down Cricket Ground

The Downs pitch, first recorded on an Ordnance Survey map in 1873, remained the town’s cricket centre until fashionable attention transferred to the Manor House ground, laid out on the ...
Extension

Devonshire Hotel

Bexhill Chronicle advert for the Devonshire Hotel (28-7-1900) Devonshire Hotel, Devonshire Road (Postcard 13.8.1908) The Devonshire Hotel, Bexhill – before the hotel’s extension in 1929 – notice the shops where ...

Coastguard Station

Cottages from Colonnade I>Old Coastguards, Cooden c1905/b> Old Coastguards, Cooden c1905 Coastguard Station, looking east c1894 This site, on a low sandy cliff known as The Horn, had once had ...

Clock Tower

Image 01 – Air photo, West Parade and Clock Tower c1920 Image 02 – West Parade and Clock Tower, Bexhill c1930 Image 03 – Clock Tower, West Parade c1920 Image ...

Church of St. Mary Magdalene

Old Catholic Church (St Mary Magdalene) in 1903 St Mary Magdalene, first building (Mission Hall – Photo by Emil Vieler),/b> St Mary Magdalene, under construction 1906 St Mary Magdalene’s Church, ...
hotel 1987

Castle Hotel

Advertisement for the “Castle Hotel”, dated 1894 The Castle Hotel on left, in the Town Hall Square The “Castle Hotel” in 1987 The Castle Hotel was purpose-built, as a hotel, ...

Cantelupe Road Police Station & Magistrates’ Court

Police at Cantelupe Road station 1903 Cantelupe Road Magistrates Court c1967 Cantelupe Road Police Station 1967 The police station and magistrate’s court at Cantelupe Road were opened in January, 1903.and ...
c1901

Cantelupe Gardens

1 – Croquet game played on the lawn, c1899 2 – Cantelupe Gardens (Emil Vieler) c1901 3 – Croquet Tournament, Bexhill Chronicle, 10th September 1910 With the development of Bexhill’s ...
1928

Brook Lodge (The Grange)

Brook Lodge (The Grange) on Upper Sea Road c1920 Brook Lodge (The Grange), Old Town 1928 Brook Lodge, later known as The Grange, was built by Arthur Brook in about ...
two

Bexhill’s Race Track

Bexhill-on-Sea became known as the "Birthplace of British Motor Racing" because of an event that took place in May, 1902. The Bexhill Racetrack, 1902 – Old Cycle Track up Galley ...

Bexhill’s Gasworks

In 1854, though the parish of Bexhill had been included in the statutory area of the Hastings and St Leonard's Gas Company, there was no attempt made to supply the ...
1928

Bexhill Museum

[ilink url="https://bexhillmac.co.uk/map/default.html"]Back to Map[/ilink] Photograph of the Museum interior, c1927 Photograph of the Museum interior, taken October, 1928 School group visitng the Museum c1928 Photograph showing Egerton Park Baths and ...
1864

Bexhill Manor House

Bexhill Manor House – drawing c1864 Bexhill Manor House c1899 Manor House from sales catalogue Bexhill Manor House – 29th August 1970 The Manor House is thought to have been ...

Bexhill Institute

Bexhill Institute 1887 The Institute was a club and reading room that opened in 1887. The Bexhill Board, the forerunner of the Bexhill Corporation, met here from 1893 until the ...
1908

Bexhill Central Station

Bexhill Central Station c1908 Central Station from Sea Road c1910 Bexhill Central Station c1925 Bexhill Central Station c1964 The town's only surviving railway station was opened in 1902 and served ...
sketch

Beulah Baptist Church

Beulah Baptist Church in about 1910 in the late 1870s two members of the Hastings Baptist church tried, unsuccessfully, to find a suitable meeting place in the town. Some years ...
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Belle Hill,

Belle Hill Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Belle Hill, Bexhill c1905 Belle Hill Methodist Chapel, Bexhill c1910 Belle Hill Methodist Chapel, Bexhill – mid 1980s The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Belle Hill was built ...

Barrack Road School (Chantry Country Primary School)

In 1885, in the very early days of the building of the new town of Bexhill, a new school was built in Barrack Road to cater for girls and infants ...

Barrack Road Police Station

 Barrack Road Police Station An East Sussex Constabulary was formed in 1840 with a total of 23 men. In the 1880s, when Bexhill was expanding rapidly a small police station ...
Scroll to Top