Chronology of the De La Warr Pavilion

Development of the De La Warr Pavilion – Chronology

1884 Herr Stanislaus Wurm and his White Viennese Band hired until 1899

1887 Pier proposal off West Parade

1887 Victoria Hall opened

1895 York Hall opened

1898 a company was formed to build a winter garden on the Kursaal site

1896 Kursaal opened

1898 Pier proposal off Egerton Park

1899 Herr Moritz Wurm’s Blue Viennese Orchestra hired for the season

1900 Jimmy Glover becomes manager of Kursaal

1900 June 20th future 9th Earl born

1901 Pier proposal off Channel View.

1903 Band Fund formed to help pay the De La Warr Orchestra

1905 Cadow’s Cadets perform in Egerton Park

1905 Bar added to Kursaal

1907 Public Health Amendment Act “Penny Rate” allows expenditure on entertainment

1907 “Bexhill Winter Gardens Ltd” formed to get a winter garden on Brockley Road

1907 Pier proposal off Devonshire Road by Council

1907 Christmas Edition of B-o-S Ob’ “Parable of the Cursehall” cartoon

1908 Kursaal sold to Mr Claude Johnson

1908 Park Pergola opened in Egerton Park

1909 Entertainments Association formed, included council members and public

1909 Poppies concert party perform in Park Pergola or the Park Shelter Hall if wet

1909 Approval given to build Central Parade

1909 Christmas Edition of B-o-S Ob’ “Battle of the Bands” cartoon

1910 May, roller-skating rink opened in Buckhurst Road

1910 Daily film shows at Kursaal

1910 The Bijou opened by Collard and Kinsella

1910 July, Central Parade opened

1911 Colonnade opened

1912 Storm damage to seafront

1912 The 8th Earl attempts to form a company to run the Kursaal

1912 Christmas Edition of B-o-S Ob’ “Something like an attraction” cartoon

1913 Council buys East Parade, De La Warr Gates torn down in December

1913 Christmas Edition of B-o-S Ob’ “Everybody’s wanting it” cartoon

1915 8th Earl De La Warr dies

1921 unsuccessful attempt to open the former roller-skating rink as a winter garden

1923 April, Commercial Association resolve that an entertainments hall needed on seafront

1925 Corporation Act allows public expenditure on entertainment facilities

1925 Extensive alterations to the Kursaal

1926 Adams, Thompson & Fry commissioned to write General Development Plan

1927 Council bid to buy the Kursaal fails

1928 Outer promenade for Colonnade began

1929 Outer promenade for Colonnade finished

1930 General Development Plan published

1930 General Development Plan – includes plan for entertainments Pavilion

1930 Jan, Cllr A. Turner Laing outlines his proposal for a £50,000 Entertainments Hall, design by Tubbs & Messer

1930 August, coastguard station closed

1932 Philip York and his Country Players begin repertory at the Kursaal

1933 April, 9th Earl proposes a £50,000 scheme – almost universally supported

1933 Park Pergola closed

1934 Model built for public inquiry in order to secure loan

1935 March, visit by King George V and Queen Mary

1935 May, commemorative plaque laid by Earl De La Warr

1935 July, municipal scheme for swimming pool in Colonnade, later rejected

1935 October, Council buys the Kursaal – it now owned all the seafront

1935 December, Royal opening by Duke and Duchess of York

1936 June, Earl declines Freedom of the Borough

1936 November, Bernard Shaw attends a production of his play ‘The Millionairess’

1940 Bomb damage to Pavilion

1944 Dilapidation report by Johannes Schreiner

1955 Metropole demolished

1961 The council stops shops in Egerton Park theatre

1963 Harbour scheme proposed and dropped

1972 Lift, wheelchair ramp and fire-screen installed

1986 The De La Warr Pavilion is listed as a grade I building

1989 Pavilion Trust formed

1990 Repair work begins

2000 Council attempts to sell building

2001 The Pavilion is not sold and Lottery money is applied for

2002 Funding secured

2003 Restoration work begins

You may be interested in:

In this section:

Scroll to Top