Belle Hill, as part of Bexhill “Old Town”, existed long before the new seaside resort of “Bexhill-on-Sea” was even thought of.
The second largest landowner (after the De La Warr family) was a Samuel Scrivens who lived at “Millfield”, Belle Hill. He sold farmland, between Belle Hill and where the Town Hall is now, which lead to the building of “Station Road” – today re-named “London Road.
The first police house in Bexhill was built on Belle Hill.
BEL-001 – Belle Hill, drawing by Charles Graves, in 1897
BEL-002 – Belle Hill, drawing by Charles Graves, in 1897
BEL-003 – Belle Hill, drawing by Charles Graves, 1897
BEL-004 – Belle Hill – drawing by Charles Graves, 1901
BEL-005 – Belle Hill farm & Down Mill c1885
BEL-006 – The Queen’s Head, Belle Hill, c1970
BEL-007 – Junction of Belle Hill and Amherst Road in 1951
BEL-008 – Belle Hill, Bexhill 1898, Aylwin Guilmant
BEL-009 – Down Arch bridge from Belle Hill, Bexhill 1964
BEL-010 – Junction of Belle Hill and Amherst Road, c1920
BEL-011 – Belle Hill, c1970
BEL-012 – Bottom of Belle Hill and the Down, from Millfield Meadows, Rapley – c1885
BEL-013 – Belle Hill – Doyles – demolition in 1956
BEL-014 – Belle Hill by Francis Grose, c1800
BEL-015 -Belle Hill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, c1905
BEL-016 – Belle Hill and King Offa’s Way
BEL-017 – The “Queen’s Head”, Belle Hill, 1940