Formerly the “York Hall and Gaiety Cinema”, the building was severely damaged by a bomb on 6th October, 1940, during the Battle of Britain.

It was used, in the 1960s, by the ‘Car Maintenance (Bexhill) Limited’ company as a garage and for Vauxhall and Bedford vehicle sales. This company had previously occupied 335, London Road, which is now “Princes Garage”. In the 1970s it was occupied by “Berners Hill Garage Ltd” who were Volvo agents.

The gallery above shows images referring to the Garage, at 96, London Road

LR-001 – The scene soon after the bomb explosion on 6 October 1940 permanently closing the Gaiety Cinema.

LR-002 – The original York Hall building seen after the frontage of the Gaiety Cinema had been removed in the early 1950s. Converted into a garage by the 1960s and still in use.

LR-003 – 1960s advertisement for Vauxhall sales and services, by “Car Maintenance (Bexhill) Limited”, who took the building  over.

 

 

 

In this section:

Scroll to Top