This garage and workshop is located on the north side of Victoria Road, between Windsor and Reginald Roads. The building dates from 1899 when William Kirk constructed his Machine Joinery Works with accommodation over called ‘Balmullo’.
E. J. Hilder & Co, mineral water manufacturers, used and extended the building from 1912 to the 1930s. From 1917 they were motor engineers in addition to the mineral water business and from 1920 were motor engineers, only, with a showroom at 22, Sackville Road.
Gwynne & Coomber ran their garage business, here, from 1935 to about 1940.
After the Second World War, ‘Car Maintenance (Bexhill) Ltd’ took over Gwynne & Coomber’s business using this site and Sandhurst Garage in London Road.
‘Honest Bert’ Unicombe started a motorcycle repair and sales business in Leopold Road in 1958. In 1964 he moved into these premises, with his son Fred, under the name of H B Unicombe Motors Ltd. Fred Unicombe retired in 2004 and the building is, at the present time (2016) still a car workshop, run by ‘TSW Auto Repairs LLP.’.
The above gallery shows, left to right:-
H B Motors premises in Leopold Road with an array of motorbikes and an open top Jaguar car in need of tlc. Early 1960s.
H B Motors converted Bedford recovery vehicle 288 RPF seen at Hooe, 1960s
Petrol sales were eventually stopped by the local authority due to the flat above and neighbours. Ford Cortina of 1968/69 registration with a glamorous attendant.
May 2016 view with the H B Motors sign still in position