These premises are at the west end of Victoria Road, Bexhill although considered as part of Reginald Road in the street directories.

Gustavus Green built workshops here in 1902 when it was described as a ‘general engineer and motor works’. Green was an accomplished engineer constructing bicycles in Bexhill from 1896, then motor cars and later aeroplanes. He designed a water cooled engine for motor cars and developed it for aeroplanes and fast motor gun and torpedo boats in the Great War. He left Bexhill in 1914 to continue development of these engines elsewhere.

In 1934 Herbert Smith and his brother took over the works and called it ‘Smith’s Garage’. They carried out general car repairs and servicing as well selling petrol from a single pump. They also had a garage for 6 limousines further up the road adjacent to the Victoria Hall. They provided hearses and mourners cars for local funerals when the garage was closed while the staff acted as pall bearers. The brothers took an active interest in the town supporting the swimming club and provided transport for the water polo team.

 

In this section:

Scroll to Top