List of Bexhill Schools

The following list draws upon the research of Norma Day and Elma Bates. Much of the information is derived from advertisements in local guidebooks and so, for example, references to a school being founded ‘about 1902′ means that the school might have been established a few years earlier but the first advertisement appeared in 1902.

The Parish Records of Bexhill, held at the East Sussex Records Office, show, however, that there were schools in the late 1700s and it’s reasonable to assume that there were schools  earlier.

For instance, the “Overseers’ Accounts”, of 1779, show  that there was a “Free School”,  paid for by the parish but which,  probably, took in many paying scholars. In 1781, the Parish Records tell us about an independent school, run by the Curate of Bexhill, Henry Barwick.

As can be see from the long lists of schools, they played an important part in the history and development of Bexhill and had a considerable social and economic impact. The extraordinary length of the platforms at Bexhill Central Railway Station was said to have been built to cater for the arrival and departure en masse of hundreds of children, although actually this was due to the 1902 station being only slightly further up the line than the 1891 station so what we have is two sets of platforms joined together.

Church and State Schools:

  • All Saints School, Sidley: opened 1865 and enlarged 1910.
  • Bexhill College, Turkey Road: See Bexhill Grammar School:
  • Bexhill County Secondary School: See Bexhill Grammar School.
  • Bexhill Grammar School, Turkey Road: the boys school opened 5th October 1926. The boys and girls grammar schools were separate but were amalgamated in 1970.
  • Bexhill High School, opened 1943, became co-educational in 1965 and was known as Down Secondary Modern School.
  • Chantry Infant School, Barrack Road: See St. Peter’s Girls and Infant School.
  • Down School, Bexhill Down: opened 1907, enlarged 1912. It is now King Offa School.
  • Down Secondary Modern School: See Bexhill High School.
  • Glyne Gap School (special needs): opened 1970.
  • King Offa School: See Down School.
  • Pebsham County Primary School:
  • St. Barnabas Infants School, Western Road: opened in 1893 and became a girls school in 1897, the school closed during WWII and the site is now the public Library.
  • St. Barnabas Boys School, Reginald Road: opened in 1898 and operated until 1956 when St. Peter and St. Paul School opened in Buckhurst Road.
  • St. Barnabas Girls School, Western Road: See St. Barnabas Infants School.
  • St. Mark’s School, Little Common: opened 1855, enlarged 1890.
  • St. Mary Magdalen’s School (Roman Catholic), Magdalen Road: opened 1910, enlarged in 1936. The junior school moved to Nazareth House, Hastings Road in 1961.
  • St. Peter’s Church ‘schole’ house, Chantry chapel: started by Dr Pye in 1597.
  • St. Peter’s School, Holliers Hill: built 1853, closed 1940.
  • St. Peter’s Girls and Infants School, Barrack Road: built 1885, enlarged 1895, and moved to Buckhurst Road in 1956 and the building was used by Chantry Infant School.
  • St. Peter’s and St. Pauls School, Buckhurst Road: opened 1956.
  • St. Richard’s Secondary School (Roman Catholic), Ashdown Road: opened 1959.

Independent Schools:

  • Amberley Kindergarten, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1948 by Miss Tompkins.
  • Ancaster House, Penland Road: founded 1897, by 1906 became a girls school. Mrs Burrows
  • Ascham House School (Girls), 3 Woodville Road: founded about 1903 by Miss Chaffer.
  • Auckland House, De La Warr Road: founded 1901 by the Misses White, by late 1920s under Mrs Collyer Adams it moved to Sidley and in 1933 moved to Marina, opposite the De La Warr Pavilion.
  • Augusta-Victoria College (German Girls), 88 Dorset Road: founded in the 1930s by Frau Helene Rocholl to prepare foreign girls to take the Certificate of Proficiency in English. Students included Princess Herzeleide, Bettina von Ribbentrop and the god-daughter of Himmler. The college closed when the Second World War began.
  • Austral House (Girls), Collington Avenue: founded about 1911 by Mrs N. Willias Taylor.
  • Baskerville School for Girls, Dorset Road: founded about 1935 by Miss Bell.
  • Beachville, Sea Road: founded in 1880s by Mrs Galot with Mr and Miss Hoare.
  • The Beacon Preparatory School for Boys, Dorset Road: opened 1901 by Mr Clayton Heslop, later moved to Penland Road next to Ancaster House. Evacuated in WWII and never returned.
  • The Beacon School for Boys, Upper Dorset Road: founded about 1900 by Mr Clayton Heslop and taken over by Mr Rawson in 1937.
  • The Beehive, Upper Dorset Road: moved to Bexhill from Windsor in 1900 under Miss Browning. Evacuated in WWII and reopened in 1945 in Broadoak Manor. Closed 1966.
  • Bedford House Preparatory School (Boys), Cantelupe Road: founded 1898 by Mr Featherstone, moved to Pangbourne in 1909.
  • Beechmont, Collington Lane: see Lake House School
  • Beechville, Sea Road: founded about 1888 by Mrs Galot.
  • Belvedere School for Young Ladies (for girls and little boys under 12), Hastings Road: founded about 1889 by Misses Butler and Fairlamb.
  • Bexhill College, Nelson House, Station Road: founded by G. Antoine See Bexhill College Ghuznee.
  • Bexhill College (Ghuznee), Buckhurst Road: founded c1893 by Mr Penrose Warren, moved to Wilton Road in 1894 and to Marine Parade in 1897 but soon closed. In 1908/09 Mr Bidder renamed Oxford House School as Bexhill College, in 1910 it was at Nelson House in Station Road.
  • Bexhill School of Domestic Economy, Colwell Court, Pages Avenue: founded about 1948 by Miss Patience Peacey.
  • Bicton Place, Collington Lane: opened in 1927 by Mr Harry and Mr Lock in the old St. Wilfrid’s premises.
  • Bishopston School for Boys, Sutherland Avenue: founded about 1914 by Rev Hawthorn.
  • Boscobel House School for Boys, Hastings Road: See New College.
  • Boscoville School for Girls, De La Warr Road: founded in 1914 by the Misses Chegwyn. See also New College.
  • Boys Preparatory School, Wickham Avenue: founded about 1934 by G.P.B. Wheatley.
  • Boys School, Dorset Road: founded about 1923 by Rowley Freeman Esq.
  • Buckhurst, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1902 by Miss Potter.
  • Brantwood (Girls), Cantelupe Road: founded about 1913 by Miss Hobbs.
  • Brastagi Lodge Language School, Dorset Road.
  • Caius House, Collegiate School for the Daughters of Gentlemen, Bolebrooke Road: founded c1901 by Miss Hutt, closed prior to WWI.
  • Caledonia, Clavering Walk, Cooden: founded 1913 by Misses Wynne and Baker, became Portsdown Lodge in 1950.
  • Charters Ancaster School: created by the amalgamation of Charters Towers and Ancaster House Schools in 1985.
  • Charters Towers School for Girls, Hastings Road: founded by Mrs Catherine Finch in 1929 in Lingfield although it soon moved to East Grinstead. The School moved to Worthingholm, Hastings Road, Bexhill in 1934. Amalgamated with Ancaster House in 1985.
  • Cherwell House School (Girls), Egerton Road/Park Road: founded about 1905 by Mr Campbell, taken over by Mr & Mrs Davies c1913 and moved to Park Road.
  • Clare House Middle Class School, Station Road (London Road): founded about 1888 by W.G. Finch.
  • Cleveland School, Amherst Road: c1920s.
  • Clough School for Young Ladies, Marina: founded about 1897 by Mrs K. Crosby.
  • Collington Manor, a Middlesex Memorial Fund school for delicate children: (A farmhouse converted into a grand Tudor-style residence by Daniel Mayer.) Founded 1930, in 1962 it became a short-stay hostel for Middlesex children. Closed 1965 demolished 1968.
  • Collington Rise Preparatory School for Boys: founded in the former premises of St. Celine School in 1923 by Mr Foster. Evacuated in 1940 and never returned.
  • Colwell Court School for Domestic Economy, Pages Avenue: founded by Miss Patience Peacey and moved to specially built premises in 1935. Now Phoenix House.
  • Concord College & Dalhousie School, Buckhurst Road: founded in 1946 by the Misses Carr Taylor, in 1950 part of it became Dalhousie School for foreign students. In 1953 Concord College moved to Tunbridge Wells and Dalhousie followed twenty years later.
  • Convent of Our Ladye, Sea Road: founded in about 1917.
  • Cranford Preparatory School for Girls, 20 Reginald Road: founded about 1900 by Mrs Neighbour.
  • Crawford Preparatory School, Reginald Road: founded in 1900 by Mrs Neighbour, shortly afterwards she moved away but returned to start Moreland House School in 1912 which was later renamed Mountcroft.
  • Dalhouse School (Foreign Girls), Buckhurst Road: founded by Mr and Mrs Konarzewski about 1958.
  • Dane Court School for Girls, Woodsgate Park: founded after the First World War by Miss Ford.
  • Day School, Sea Road: founded about 1894 by Mrs Walton.
  • Day School for Boys and Girls, 8 Devonshire Road: founded about 1907 by the Misses Culver.
  • Day School for Girls, Station Road (London Road): founded about 1899 by Miss Cork.
  • Deutsches Paedagogium, School for German Boys, ‘Whindown’ Westdown Road: founded in 1910 by Dr Blassneck, at the start of WWI the School was closed and Dr Blassneck interned.
  • Devonshire House School, Hastings Road: founded in 1899 by Mr Sansom, closed in mid 1930s.
  • Down House Preparatory School: Woodsgate Park: founded after the First World War by Miss Ford.
  • Ebor School, Sea Road/Brassey Road/Marina/Dorset Road: founded in 1895 by Mr A.J.H. Brown and moved location twice before settling into purpose built premises on the corner of Penland and Dorset Road. It closed at the end of WW2 and Ancaster House took over the building.
  • Edgeworth School for Girls, 45 Devonshire Road: founded about 1907 by Mrs T Morris and later became a music school.
  • Effingham House School for Girls, Collington Lane: moved from Folkestone in 1908 by Mrs Ismay. Closed in the 1960s.
  • Egerton Park College, Sea Road: See Egerton Park School.
  • Egerton Park School, Sea Road: founded in 1888 by Mr Silvanus Allen, renamed Egerton Park College in 1893. Closed early in the next century.
  • Elstree Lodge School for Boys, Hastings Road: founded about 1911 by Rev Scott.
  • Ellendeane, Home for Fatherless Boys, Egerton Road: founded in 1920s closed 1971.
  • Eton House, Station Road (London Road): founded about 1890 by J.H. Ward BSc.
  • Eversley School for the Daughters of Gentlemen, Eversley Road: founded 1888 by Miss Poulton, closed c1910.
  • Fairhaven, Lower Sea Road: founded about 1906 by Miss Bradford Griffith, it later became the Beach Haven Hotel.
  • Fairway School for Boys, Amherst Road: founded by Mr Brownsden before the First World War, when he died his wife took over the school but when the Grammar School opened there was only one pupil left and when he left the school closed.
  • Falconbury Preparatory School for Boys, Collington Lane: Opened in 1930 in the former Bicton School premises which was acquired by and renamed by Mr & Mrs Faulkner. It was evacuated in 1940 and returned after the war.
  • Fern Glen Bexhill College for Young Ladies, Station Road (London Road): founded in 1888 by Mrs Warren.
  • Froebel School, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1935 by Misses Boden and Home.
  • Garth Place Preparatory School for Boys, ‘Whindown’ Westdown Road: founded in 1920 by Mr A.D.B. Wanton, he retired in 1938 and for one year Garth Place was a nursery school.
  • The Gables Preparatory School for Boys and Girls, Eversley Road/Endwell Road/Cantelupe Road: founded c1896 by the Misses Scripps, in the 1930s it moved to Linkwell in the Old Town but did not return after the war.
  • Gelston School for Young Ladies, Marina/Dorset Road: founded in 1896 by the Misses Walton and closed just before WWI.
  • Ghuznee House, Buckhurst Road: See Bexhill College.
  • Ghuznee Bexhill College, Marina: See Bexhill College.
  • Glyne Hurst Preparatory School, Cantelupe Road/Buckhurst Road: founded about 1932 by Mrs Chapman.
  • Godesburg House School for Girls, Cantelupe Road: founded about 1900 by Miss Edmonds.
  • Girton School for Young Ladies, Sea Road/Eversley Road: founded in about 1888 by Miss Knight.
  • The Glen High School for Ladies, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1888 by Miss Knight.
  • Grange Court School, Dorset Road/Woodsgate Park: founded in the 1920s by Miss Edkins and moved to Woodsgate Park in the 1930s.
  • Green Bank Preparatory School for Boys, Station Road (London Road): founded by J.H.Ward in about 1893.
  • Greencroft, Hastings Road: founded about 1928 by Miss Davies BA.
  • Greylands Preparatory, Hastings Road: founded about 1927 by G. Reynolds.
  • Halifax House School for Girls, Cantelupe Road: founded about 1899 by Miss Hansell.
  • Handsworth School for Young Ladies, Bolebrook Road: founded about 1894 by Miss Finnie.
  • Harewood Preparatory School for Boys: founded 1920 by Rev Horace Whicker, amalgamated with Normandale School in 1963 and the site was redeveloped in the early 1970s.
  • Havergal School for Boys and Girls, Woodville Road: opened in 1910 by Rev and Mrs Watson but it did not last long.
  • Hessle School for Girls, Haddocks Hill Road: See Trinity House School.
  • Heathercotte, Dorset Road: founded about 1917 by Miss Freeman.
  • Heatherdune, The Down: founded about 1898 by Miss Potter.
  • Heriot Days, Little Common Road: founded about 1928 by Miss Howder MA.
  • Highbury Ladies Day School, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1918 by Mrs E.B. Sanders.
  • Hillbrow Boys School, Collington Avenue/Manor Road: founded about 1907 by Mr Wilson.
  • Hillside, Dorset Road: founded about 1914 by Rev Mather Smith.
  • Holmwood, Hastings Road: founded in 1887 by Rev. Owen Burbridge who had previously started a school with only one pupil in 1885 in Station Road (London Road). Holmwood later became Worthingholm, a school for girls and then Wilton House School. Wilton House moved to Catsfield and the premises were acquired by Charters Towers School in 1934 and when they amalgamated with Ancaster House the site became residential.
  • Home School for Young Ladies, Egerton Park Road: founded about 1902 by Mrs Couldery.
  • Hughenden School for Girls, Station Road (London Road): founded about 1893 by Miss G.F. Hayes.
  • Hunsden House School for the sons of Gentlemen, Station Road (London Road): founded in 1888 by Mr Warren.
  • Hythe House, Bolebrook Road/Upper Sea Road: founded about 1927 by Misses Jutson and Clarke.
  • Keyhurst (Boys), Little Common: founded about 1902 by Mr Shedherd.
  • Lake House School, Woodsgate Park/Collington Lane: founded by Mr Bond in 1898 and moved to specially built premises in Collington Lane in 1902. It was taken over in 1929 by Mr Knott and renamed Beechmont, the school evacuated during the war and did not return.
  • Laleham School for Boys, Woodsgate Park: founded about 1913 by Mr Buckland.
  • Lewesdon School for Boys, Hastings Road: founded about 1899 by Miss Diplock.
  • Lindores School for Girls, Dorset Road/Wrestwood: founded by Miss Freeman in 1912 the school purchased Wrest Wood in 1927. Wrest Wood had been built by Sir Edward Mallet, British Ambassador, in 1897. The School was evacuated during the war and did not return.
  • Lindum House School for Girls, Hastings Road: founded in 1900 by Miss Richardson B.A. and operated for about 25 years.
  • Little Winceby, Hartfield Road: See Winceby House School.
  • Little St. Francis Kindergarten Boarding and Day School, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1948 by Miss Smith.
  • Loretto College for Girls, Buckhurst Road: founded about 1934.
  • Luss House, Sutherland Avenue: founded about 1928 by Mrs and Miss Lattey.
  • Marina Court School for Girls and Kindergarten, 47 Wickham Avenue: founded about 1911 by the Misses Earles and Barnett.
  • Mayfield (Mixed Preparatory), Colebrooke Road/Collington Lane: founded about 1917 by Miss Richard.
  • Merivale School, Cantelupe Road: founded by Mr C.H.C Hinde BA in 1899 and survived for about ten years.
  • Merrydays Preparatory School, Cantelupe Road: founded about 1958 by Miss Auer.
  • Merland House School, Dorset Road: founded about 1950 by S.L.B. Smith MA.
  • Moreland House, Parkhurst Road: founded 1912 by Mrs Neighbour, renamed Mountcroft School c1914. Closed at the outbreak of WW2.
  • Mountcroft School, Parkhurst Road: see Moreland House.
  • Newcome House, Home for Indian and Colonial Children and Others, Bedford Avenue: founded in 1912 and closed just after the First World War.
  • New College for Boys, Eversley Road/Hastings Road: founded in 1893 by Mr C. Chegwyn and Mr J. Chegwyn it moved to specially designed premises on the Hastings Road in 1897. In 1914 Boscoville School for Girls was founded by the Misses Chegwyn in De La Warr Road.
  • Newlands (Boys), De La Warr Road: founded by Mr Broughton MA in about 1917.
  • Normandale Preparatory School for Boys, Collington Avenue: started as North Hill School in Dorset Road by Mr Salmon in 1905/06 but moved to Collington Avenue in 1911 and renamed Normandale. Evacuated to Wells in 1940 the school returned to Bexhill and in 1963 amalgamated with Harewood School. In 1920 the school was attended for two terms by Sir Alec Guiness, then aged 6.
  • Northcote House School (Girls), De La Warr Road: founded in early 1900s by the Misses Brown and Boyt, it closed before the First World War.
  • Northfleet (Boys), De La Warr Parade: founded about 1893 by Rev J. Miller and Mr Shackleton.
  • North Hill School: See Normandale.
  • Orchard House Preparatory, St. John’s Road: founded about 1930 by B.G. McClean.
  • Oxford House School, Manor Road/Jameson Road: founded in Mr Shaw in 1903 and moved to Jameson Road in 1908 at which time it was separated into Bexhill College, for the boys, and Oxford House, for the girls. Both schools occupied the same site.
  • The Pages, Collington Lane: opened about 1926 by Miss Kate Benge.
  • Peradeniya Girls Preparatory School, 10 Linden Road: founded about 1906 by Miss Mills.
  • Pembroke Lodge School for Young Ladies, Station Road (London Road): founded by Miss Burden in about 1888.
  • Pendragon School for Boys, Cantelupe Road/Hastings Road: founded in Cantelupe Road in 1951 it took over the premises of St. Ives School in 1960, closed in the late 1960s.
  • Portland House School for Girls, Dorset Road: founded about 1908 by the Misses Chapman.
  • Portsdown Lodge School, Clavering Walk, Cooden: the school had been founded in Golders Green in 1912 by Miss K.M. Griesback and bought the premises in Cooden previously occupied by Caledonia in 1937. The School was evacuated to Cornwall during the war and finally closed in 1964. The property was bought by the Post Office as a training centre in 1966.
  • Primavera Preparatory Parents National Educational Union, Cooden Sea Road: founded about 1926 by Miss Fairholm and Martyn Jones.
  • Roccabruna School for Ladies, Eversley Road: founded in about 1893 by Mr and Mrs Laycock. Became Roccabruna Collegiate and Commercial School in 1900.
  • Romanoff School for Girls, 50 Dorset Road: founded about 1913 by Miss Evans.
  • Rosedene, Cantelupe Road/Deans Drive: founded in 1927 by Miss Hurst and moved to specially built premises in Deans Drive in 1936. Miss Hurst retired in 1958 and the school closed.
  • Rosemont School for Young Ladies (Painting etc.), Linden Road: founded about 1898.
  • Rossell Girls and Kindergarten School, Park Road: founded by Miss Brownsden in the late 1920s.
  • Royal Merchant Navy School, Collington Avenue : started in 1947 on the site previously occupied by St. John’s School. It was intended to educate children orphaned by the war. By 1958 it was no longer needed for this purpose and the site was sold to the Hastings and Thanet Building Society. The site is now used by Hastings Direct.
  • Rugby House School for Girls, Hastings Road: founded about 1899 by Miss Arnold.
  • Rumsden House Preparatory School for Young Gentlemen, Station Road (London Road): founded in about 1888 by Mr Finch.
  • Sackville House, Marine Crescent: founded about 1899 by Mr H.V. Alker.
  • San Donato Preparatory, Hastings Road: founded about 1930 by Miss Fox.
  • Sandown, Dorset Road/Hastings Road: founded by Miss Neale and Miss Cheffins in 1905 the school moved to Hastings Road in 1911 to occupy the building previously used by Seafield.
  • Seafield House School for Boys, Hastings Road/Collington Lane: founded in 1902 by Mr Coghlan the school moved to Collington Lane in 1911. The School eventually became co- educationally but closed shortly afterwards in the late 1960s.
  • The Seaside School, Hastings Road: founded about 1927 by Miss Heath.
  • Simla House School, Elmstead Road: founded about 1908 by the Misses Hird.
  • South Denes, Eversley Road: founded about 1903 by Miss Ellis.
  • Southhome Pre-Preparatory School (5-9), Dorset Road: founded about 1948 by Misses Stevenson and Berry.
  • St. Andrews, Sea Road: founded about 1894 by Misses Thurnham.
  • St. Andrews Preparatory School, Dorset Road: founded about 1923 by Mrs and Miss Lowe.
  • St Bernards (Girls), Lower Dorset Road/Hastings Road: founded in 1903 by the Misses Miller and moved to Hastings Road in 1906 under Miss Scott.
  • St. Bridget’s School for Girls, Dorset Road/St John’s Road: founded about 1933 by Misses Cowell and Wivell.
  • St. Catherine’s School for Girls, Upper Sea Road: founded about 1911 by the Misses Wyley and Grew.
  • St. Catherine’s Preparatory School, St John’s Road: founded about 1923 by the Misses O’Sullivan.
  • St. Celine, Collington Rise: founded 1912 by Miss Salters Byrne. The site was taken over by Collington Rise Preparatory School in 1923.
  • St. Christophers, Sutherland Avenue: founded about 1920 by Miss Baird.
  • St. Christopher’s School PNEU, Dorset Road: founded about 1948 by Misses Claxton and Jukes.
  • St. David’s Boys School, Hastings Road/Dorset Road: founded about 1932 by Mrs Griffiths.
  • St. Edmondsbury House Ladies School, Albany Road/Bolebrooke Road: founded in 1896 by the Misses Booty.
  • St. Etheldreda, Dorset Road: founded in about 1917 by Mrs Jacoby.
  • St. Francis School for Girls, ‘Whindown’ West Down Road: founded in 1946 by Miss Fulford and closed in the early 1970s.
  • St. Hilary’s School for Girls, Hastings Road/De La Warr Road/Normanhurst Court Catsfield: founded in 1901 by Misses Hall & Johnson, later acquired by Major & Mrs Battine who moved the school to Normanhurst Court, the former home of the Brassey family.
  • St. Hilda’s Preparatory, Dorset Road: founded about 1928 by Miss Barker.
  • St. Ives School, De La Warr Road/Hastings Road: founded in 1903 by Miss Jutsum and moved to the corner of Hastings and Elmstead Roads in 1908. Pendragon School for Boys took over the site in 1960, it had previously been established in Cantelupe Road in 1951. It closed in the late 1960s.
  • St. John’s School for Girls, Collington Avenue: Moved from Redhill in 1910, the school was evacuated in WW2 but did return. Little John’s was opened as a school for younger children. The site was bought by the Royal Merchant Navy Comforts Service in 1947 and opened as a school. Little John’s became a nursing home.
  • St. Joseph’s Day School, The Convent, Sea Road/Buckhurst Road: founded about 1917.
  • St. Lawrence Preparatory School for Junior Boys, Hastings Road: founded by Mr Shepherd M.A. in about 1900 but only operates for about ten years.
  • St. Martin’s School for Boys, Albany Road/Amherst Road: founded by Mr Austin E. Brown BA and moved to Amherst Road before the First World War.
  • St. Mary’s School, Wrestwood: Founded at Chislehurst in 1922 the school moved to Horam from which it was evacuated to Brecon during the Second World War. St. Mary’s took over the Wrest Wood site in Bexhill in 1946 and continue to this day.
  • St. Mary’s Preparatory School, Amherst Road: founded about 1917 by Miss Drew.
  • St. Michaels School, Albany Road/Cooden Drive: founded in 1928 by the Misses Marien for Roman Catholic children of kindergarten and junior school age and moved to Cooden Drive in 1936. The school closed in the early 1970s and is now used as a rest home.
  • St. Patrick’s School for Boys, Rotherfield Avenue: founded about 1913 by W. Brown.
  • St. Wilfred’s School, Woodsgate Park/Collington Lane: founded in 1902 and moved to Collington Lane in about 1908. The School was destroyed by fire in 1925 and was later re-established in Hawkhurst.
  • The Study, Woodville Road: founded about 1913 by Mr Claude Hawkins.
  • Sunnybank (Preparatory and Kindergarten), Station Road (London Road): founded about 1918 by Miss Livick
  • Sussex Place, Devonshire Road: founded about 1897 by Miss Culver.
  • Sutherland House School, Sutherland Avenue: founded about 1953 by Mr and Mrs Cullen.
  • Templemore Day School for Girls, Cranfield Road: founded about 1898 by the Sisters of Providence.
  • Theodena School, Hastings Road: founded about 1950 by Miss Ford.
  • Thoresby Home School for Boys, De La Warr Road: founded in about 1905 by Mr Birks Wilson MA, the school did not survive for long.
  • Thornbank School for Girls, Buckhurst Road/Collington Avenue: founded about 1910 by the Misses Bidwell and Mills. Misses Elliott and Densham were running the school by 1930 as well as Thorndene.
  • Thorndene: See Thornbank.
  • Trinity House Day School for Girls, Haddocks Hill Road (Wrestwood Road)/Fairmount Road: founded in 1903 as Hessle School for Girls by Miss Cooper A.T.L.C., she renamed it Trinity House School in 1907. The School moved to Fairmount Road in 1926 and the school closed when Miss Cooper retired in 1950.
  • University College and Gymnasium for Girls, Cantelupe Road: founded about 1899 by Miss K.G. Hill.
  • Victoria Day School for Boys, Victoria Hall: founded about 1899 by Mr G. Marshall and Mr Coxworthy.
  • Wellesley House School for Girls, Hastings Road: founded about 1926 by D.G. Peacock.
  • West Haven Kindergarten Nursery School, Fairmont Road: founded about 1969 by Mrs F. Auer.
  • Whindown, The Down: founded about 1910 by Dr M.F. Blassneck. See Deutsches Padagogium.
  • Wilton House School (Co-educational), Hastings Road: founded about 1960 by Mrs Auer.
  • Winceby House School, Hasting Road/Cooden Drive: first founded in 1913 in Cambridgeshire the school moved to Bexhill in 1922. The School moved to specially built premises in Cooden Drive in 1927. While the School was evacuated during the Second World War the premises were used as a military hospital. The School returned after the war and the Misses Wilson also started Little Winceby, a school for younger children, in Hartfield Road. The School closed when Miss Wilson retired in 1966 and the premises were taken over by the Inner London Education Authority, this closed in the 1980s.
  • Woodlands (Boys), Buckhurst Road: founded about 1902 by Rev Horace Sturt MA.
  • Worthingholm School for Girls, Hastings Road: See Holmwood. The building was used by D Battery 56th Regiment Royal Artillery during WWII to which Spike Milligan was posted.

Other Articles in Bexhill Schools

In this section:

Scroll to Top